Sometimes the most enjoyable moments of life can turn into nightmares if not planned properly. Why I’m saying this because the other day I was chatting with one of the school friends who recently made his honeymoon trip. Upon asked he described his plight of how it turned into a nightmare due to lack of planning. So, I thought to shed some light on this and help newly married couples to start their second innings of life by spending some quality time together.
1. Kerala: I’m always fascinated with Kerala. Serenity, nature, stunning lakes and rivers, beautiful lagoons and, of course, backwaters. Kerala is always a top pick for its outstanding climate and natural beauty. Munnar, Kochi, Kollam, Kumarakom and Vagamon are the popular honeymoon spots in Kerala. October to March is the ideal time for this.
2. Ooty: Located in the Nilgiris district in Tamil Nadu, Ooty, otherwise known as Udhagai or Udhagamandalam, is a popular spot among the honeymooners. Showcasing its picturesque hills stations and scenic greenery, Ooty allows couples to enjoy a perfect romantic escape away from the hustle and bustle of the maddening crowd. The best time to visit Ooty is between October and June. To name some of the most striking attractions are the Nilgiri Toy Train Ride, Boating at Pykara Lake, Angling in Ooty, Glen Morgan Tea Estate and Botanical Gardens.
3. Shimla: Ask locals where they would spend their private moments with their spouse; most would say Shimla. Magnificent climate, snowcapped mountains, stunning surroundings, green hills, breathtaking Himalayan views, adventure activities and swaying field embellish capital of Himachal Pradesh. Take an evening walk through the greenery, holding and caressing your wife’s hands or visit the fashion shops or The Mall and give her a beautiful dress. She will just love it. The main attractions that you would like to see in Shimla are the Mall Road, the Ridge Road, Jakhoo Hill, Dorje Drag Monastery, Hip Hip Hurray Amusement Park, Shimla State Museum, Summer Hill, Christ Church, Tara Devi Temple, Chandwick Waterfalls and Daranghati Sanctuary. Both summer (April to July) and winter (October to February) are the best time to plan a honeymoon trip to Shimla.
4. Goa: One of the top international tourist spots, Goa mesmerizes honeymooners with its magnificent lush green gardens, pristine beaches, an assortment of bars, pubs and restaurants and majestic Portuguese buildings. If you are obsessed with luxury, Goa has a wide range of 5 star hotels and resorts located right on the beach. Stay in a luxury hotel, pamper your taste buds with mouthwatering sea foods and give your senses the much needed adrenaline boost by indulging in windsurfing, parasailing and deep sea fishing. Visit these attractions – Agonda Beach, Basilica, Dudhsagar Waterfalls, Betalbatim Beach and Fort Aguada. Enjoya a romantic sunset at Palolem Beach. March to May and October to February are considered as the best time to visit Goa.
5. Andaman & Nicobar Islands: How can I miss the most exotic honeymoon destination of India? Andaman & Nicobar Islands are blessed with stunning natural beauty, superb marine life, an array of adventure sports, luxury hotels and vibrant lifestyle. The sandy beaches are pretty impressive and alluring. You will love spending some quality time with your loved ones exploring its serenity. If you are a great sea food lover, it is just the perfect place. It has further got the best nightlife with bustling clubs and bars. Anthropological museum, zoological survey of India museum, National memorial, fisheries museum, forest museum and navel marine museum are the popular museums to visit. January to May is the right time to hit the islands. You can even come in October and November to go windsurfing, water skiing and the likes.
6. Lakshadweep: Another island. Another honeymoon spot for you. Pristine sandy beaches, thrilling water sports, beautiful gardens, breathtaking views of blue sea, extensive sun-bathing and unmatched natural scenery create a perfect romantic ambiance for all newly married couples. Agatti, Kadmat, Kavaratti, Bangaram and Minicoy. October to April is an ideal time to head to Lakshadweep.
7. Kullu & Manali: It is time to take a break from beaches and islands and hit the snowcapped mountains and do some adventure stuff. Kull & Manali is a more common destination for locals and foreigners alike for its magnificent green grass landscapes, cascading waterfalls, soaring mountains where you will go trekking, paragliding, angling, skiing, hiking and biking. River rafting is another thrilling stuff for you. Grab a villa for two and stay uninterrupted. October to February is the right time to visit Kullu & Manali.
8. Darjeeling: Another hill station is Darjeeling. It fascinates travelers with its pleasant cold climate, striking tea gardens, greenery, natural beauties and pine trees. The traditional local market and the toy train journey play a crucial role inviting more and more visitors to this part of India. Besides that there are several world class attractions to visit, such as Tiger Hills, Rock Garden, Batasia loop, Peace Pagoda, Kanchenjunga Mountains and Singamari Ropeway. The ideal time to come here is September to January.
9. Nainital: Nestled in a valley comprising a pear-shaped lake, Nainital is a popular romantic getaway in the Kumaon foothills of the outer Himalayas of Uttarakhand. It enthralls visitors with fantastic climate, tranquil atmosphere, water sports, beautiful lakes, rock climbing, fishing, boat riding and many more. Beat the heat of summer and plan a trip to Nanitital in the months of March, April, May, June, October and February. Kausani, Aerial ropeway, Jim Corbett National Park, Nanital Lake, Naina Devi Temple and Snow View are to name the topnotch attractions in Nanital.
10. Mahabaleshwar: Mahabaleshwar is the best option if you are obsessed with waterfalls, boat riding, romantic spots, mouthwatering cuisines, temples, lakes, caves, green hills, mountains and adventurous activities. Mahabaleshwar is only several kilometers from Pune and Mumbai. If you have enough time, plan a trip to these places as well. November to June is the right time to plan a honeymoon trip here.